You just can’t be impatient with plants. Especially when they have to start from seeds and they’re expected to grow in winter. C’mon little fellas! You can do it!
Bless you Mitre 10 Emerald and your structural Tassie oak. Cheap, thick as your arm and comes up a treat. A bit of bark here and there comes right off with the plane.
Also got 3 out of 5 of the stud walls done for the wood shed – but it’s taking too long and meanwhile the fire wood is getting wet. Will need to cover it up quick smart. And focus on one project at once. Might help.
So worm farms are expensive. Big, ugly plastic things. This one by tumbleweed is $130 for a kit. The “kit” includes a coir brick and instructions. Generous. Does not include worms (we found someone selling them by the bucket for $10 in Wheeler’s Hill).
Josh Byrne recommended using an old bathtub to house your worms. It’s got a built-in drain after all. But we don’t have an old bathtub. We might have one later once we start on the reno inside, but that’s a while off and we need soil improver now.
Then this one popped up on gumtree for next to nothing. Brand new. Acrylic, granted, but fit for purpose (wouldn’t put it in the bathroom in a fit, mind you). We’re going to stick some fake grass on top and some funny planters like this one from push+pull on top of that and have a bit of an art piece. Home-made of course.
Looks a bit over the top. Definitely over the top for a worm farm. Perfect.
This is an interesting experiment. These lettuces are clearly growing faster on the left compared to the right. There’s a wall of earth to the right, which is in the direction of sunset, and the ones on the right fall into shadow slightly earlier than the ones on the left. I wouldn’t have thought it would make such a difference.
But the lettuces planted up on the hill are also struggling a bit. They spend probably half an hour a day shadowed by the big remnant trunk. Go figure! I’m just glad the rabbits haven’t found them yet.
The ute debacle last weekend was in aid of collecting a big 3-stacker door that we got on ebay for $26. Well, it’s the doorway and the window portion, the two doors are missing. Still good, though, since I want to make the doors with double-glazing. Anyway Ross down the hill agreed to help me move it from Cockatoo.
Too big to go under the house. Either have to dismantle it until we’re ready to use it or wrap it with something.
Had promised downhill Dave ages ago to take his pile of ash that he’s been collecting for the last 15 years, so we thought we’d better sort that out. It’s just garden waste, so it should be OK.
Saturday was quite rainy, only managed to transport the ash and clean up some bark from the recent windy weather.
A beam appeared on ebay, and we got it for $5. It’ll serve quite well above the big picture window we want to put in the downstairs bathroom. Unfortunately, it was in Whittlesea. That trip, and some silliness trying to get a ute from Bunnings, pretty much used up Saturday.
Sunday was mother’s day, which was spent hanging out and making. Did a bit of plumbing work for the meadow; just supply lines for driplines that we’ll put in later.
Suddenly it’s too wet for the pumpkins, which never exploded down the hill as planned. Their leaves are starting to look really ratty.
Not much happened this weekend. With a whole lot of digging and planting done it’s time to take stock and have a weekend off. S spent the time visiting the Open Studios with Cindy and Pete.
Autumn has arrived in earnest and the leaves are turning.
The bulbs and seeds are starting to pop up in the first tree spiral.