Orchard topping

We’re getting the topping layer of mulch onto the orchard/grey water mulch pit, and with blossom and leaves coming out it’s starting to look as intended.

img_2930_1000

img_2928_1000

We have a bit of cleaning up to do around the middle and at the other end, weeding, moving the charcoal pile, and raising the rock seat at the centre of the pear circle so it’s not covered by the mulch.

Almonds and flowers

The almond tree was the first to emerge from winter hibernation, in mid-August. It burst out with a bunch of flowers, and now there are loads of almonds growing! Yay!

img_2927_1000

The nectarines are next off the blocks, with a lovely show of pink blossoms.

img_2929_1000

Up the hill, the peaches and the ornamental cherry have also come into flower.

img_2939_1000

img_2936_1000

And after having one lone red tulip emerge a couple of weeks ago, all the rest are starting to wake up.

img_2933_1000

Annual onion weed eradication

The onion weed is out in force again, so it’s once again time for some eradication. All of our previous efforts have been well worth it, though, with this year’s weeding only taking a couple of hours to complete. There’s sure to be a few plants still lurking around the joint, but each year it gets easier and easier!

img_2931_1000

Peas ready to go

The snow peas have just burst out of the ground, and are ready to be planted. They caught me a little flat-footed since I didn’t have anywhere in mind to put them.

img_2926_1000

Decided in the end to dismantle the old veggie patch, which released the wire fence for use elsewhere. We put the wire along the bottom of the deck posts and lined the snow peas up along the edge. That gave us a nice, long sunny stretch for them to grow in, and with any luck the wire will deter the chickens from scratching in that bed.

img_2932_1000

Seedlings emerging

Some of the seedlings planted at the end of August are starting to sprout. The snow peas are going great guns, while it looks like success might have been achieved on germinating the oregano where past attempts have failed.

img_2917_1000
Snow pea seedlings emerging
img_2918_1000
Oregano sprouting from seed heads just planted whole. It will take some separating to get them apart, but at least they’re growing!

We also saved the tops of two oregano stalks from one of our dinners, poked them in some dirt and left them inside for a while before taking them out to the seedling table. Looks like that’s worked, too.

img_2919_1000
Literally just cut the end off with scissors and poked them in some dirt. Too easy!

3 month lettuce update

Spring is here, and we started harvesting our lettuce last week. Just a few leaves here and there to go in a roll or tacos. So far one snail has turned up in the wicking bed, more likely than not imported as an egg with the dirt.

IMG_2896_1000

Meanwhile a fourth lettuce (bottom right) has carked it, cause unknown. Spinach is also approaching readiness to start gentle harvesting.

IMG_2898_1000

Finally, the control group in the ground has started to perk up, with a few extra leaves. It will be interesting to see if they provide a “late harvest”: I’m half expecting the ones in the beds to bolt to seed, and these ones in the ground may be too small to go to flower and actually provide a second, later harvest if they can survive the pests.

IMG_2897_1000